Maryland Department of Planning (MDP) provides guidance, analysis, outreach and support to ensure that all of the State’s natural resources, built environment and public assets are preserved and protected as smart and sustainable growth goals are attained.
Maryland communities will be attractive, vibrant places to live, work, play, and learn. They will grow sustainably and in ways that add value to the community. Natural, cultural, and historic resources will be protected and restored, and linked to community resources.
MDP ascribes to these core values:
- Teamwork – Our work reflects the collective effort of all Marylanders moving towards common ground in fulfillment of any planning effort, and that each effort, in each place, is unique.
- Integrity – Honesty, respect, fairness, and equality is essential to developing integrity amongst ourselves and our constituents.
- Stewardship – We are committed towards effective and responsible land use management to ensure the highest level of health, safety, and welfare for every Marylander.
- Credibility – We aspire to fulfill our mission and our goals through our own professionalism and dedication to integrity in our work. We strive to continually improve our skills, knowledge, qualifications, and capacities.
- Collaboration – We work together with our local, state, non-profit and private-sector partners towards shared goals. Collaboration requires the spirit of cooperation to attain local and State smart growth goals.
- Commitment – We are committed to the mission of the department through our passion and enthusiasm to serve our constituents and prepare for future generations.
(Teamwork, Integrity, Stewardship, Credibility, Collaboration, and Commitment)
- Guide smart and sustainable growth in cities, towns, and communities where there is existing and planned infrastructure
- Protect and steward valuable natural and land resources
- Preserve and interpret Maryland’s heritage
- Provide planning data and analyses to inform the planning of the State, our stakeholders and the public
- Broaden public and governmental support for smart growth
- Develop the next generation of sustainability advocates
Whom We Serve
The Department recognizes that to achieve our mission of smart and sustainable growth for Maryland, we must engage and involve all Marylanders.
This page was last updated: 2012-09-12